Saturday, June 2, 2012

Final Goodbyes and New Beginings

Well, the time finally came for me to take Vova from the orphanage and begin the long trip home. The day began with me taking a taxi to the orphanage to get Vova. We first went back to my apartment and Vova changed into a new shirt, shorts and flip-flops. We then met the Rohrers for lunch at an American style pizza place. Its pizza is as close to American pizza as you will get here. Afterwards, we went to the grocery store to purchase 2 chocolate cakes, apples, grapes, 3 large bottles of coke, plates, napkins, forks and cups for Vova's group's going away party at 4:00 p.m. How did I know what to get? Well, I asked his friends about 4 days ago and they told me. I wrote it down so I would not forget. After getting the party stuff, we went back to my apartment above John Howards Pub. Nathan and Christine Rohrer will be inheriting it when we leave. I grabbed the computer hoping to Skype with Judi from the orphanage so she could be present for the party. Judi was at Drew's basketball game waiting for my call at 9:00 a.m. east coast time. Unfortunately, we could not get the remote internet connection working, so we were unable to Skype with Judi. We headed to the orphanage. The Rohrers were nice enough to accompany me to the party and take some photos. It would be a good trial run for them for their soon to be son Koyla, in a few weeks.
When we got there, the kids in Vova's group were ready to eat! So we brought in all the stuff and Vova's caretaker Olga put the food in order and Vova set the tables. Once the tables were set and the cake etc. prepared, everyone sat down to eat some cake.
Before doing so, Olga spoke some words. Volarya, one of the older kids who speaks english, translated for me. Olga said she loves Vova very much and will miss him dearly! But she and Mariana are so happy that Vova has found a loving family. With that, Olga broke down and wept. It was a very emotional moment. She came around the table and I offered her a big hug.
After that, everybody ate. And I mean they ate. Nothing was left when the party ended.
After the party ended, Vova's closest friends joined us outside to play some football one last time. The Rohrers met us out on the field with Koyla and a few of his friends. Some of the caretakers, including Olga, came out to watch. It was a very nice time. The Director did not yell at us for playing on the field. The kids just played. And on this day, they played hard and were very silly. We played a game called "Rabbit in the Middle". Basically, "keep away". It was alot of fun.
As the time got closer to leave, I found myself dreading the inevitable goodbyes. It's ironic because I had been so looking forward to leaving and going home. But it was going to be hard to say goodbye to all these wonderful kids, not knowing what their futures will hold. But, as it got close to 6:00 pm, I made the call that it was time to leave. Right before we left to catch a taxi, I took a couple more group shots.
I took one final photo of Vova with Olga and Tatiyna.
As we walked off the soccer field and towards the front of the orphanage to catch a taxi, Vova's friends followed along, acting just as goofy as before. There was no hint of sadness, tears or bitterness. All the kids were laughing and cuttin up. They seemed genuinely happy for Vova. I guess they had been through this many times before. As we approached the taxi, Vova, with a HUGE grin on his face, waved to his friends and said "Paca, Paca, Paca!" "Bye, Bye, Bye!" They all said bye back, and then we got into the taxi to leave. As we were driving away, little Sonja poked her head through the gate and waved goodbye to us as we drove off. That was a tough thing to watch. It was so happy and yet so sad. I will never forget these kids. They were incredible! However, as we drove away Vova was all smiles. Not a hint of sadness or regret. He was ready for America!
We ate dinner at John Howards one last time with the Rohrers. I gave them my 10% discount card and officially passed them the torch as the new American caretakers of "John Howards".
Now we head for home. We catch a train (yes the train of pain) one last time to Kiev tomorrow night. We arrive in Kiev Monday morning. But since it is a holiday, there is not much to do. We will meet Lori Costanza in the afternoon, as she comes back to get her daughter Anya. We go to the American embassy on Tuesday and take care of some other paperwork Wednesday. My hope is that we are on a plane for the States Thursday and arrive home Thursday nite. Worst case scenario is Friday. I will post from Kiev and again when we arrive home. Jake

1 comment: