Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Almost There!

We traveled on the "Train of Pain" one last time Sunday night and arrived in Kiev Monday morning at around 8:30 a.m. The trip was not as bad as before, but I am glad it was the last one I will take. Vova and I passed the time playing UNO and other games. When we got to Kiev, our facilitator Alex picked us up at the train station and took us for breakfast and then to our apartment. We are not too far from where Judi and I stayed a little more than 5 weeks ago (which seems like an eternity). After taking a shower and changing clothes, we went downtown where the entire city was being prepared for Euro 2012 (international soccer tourney) in which Kiev is a host city. It is a big deal, kind of like hosting the Super Bowl in the U.S. They had closed off the main street to prepare for the onslaught of fans which will start coming June 8. After we walked around for awhile, we ate lunch at a McDonalds. Not to soon to start Americanizing my son! It was actually quite good, after existing for the past 3 weeks on pizza and chicken. It tasted the same as in America. After eating, we toured the St. Sophia churcf which was built around the early 11th century. It also had an amazing bell tower. Vova and I climbed to the top and had our photo taken. This morning, we traveled to the American Embassy to file the proper paperwork and get Vova his passport. As we were at one of the many windows completing our paperwork, I noticed a couple next to me with two small boys, ages 6 and 7. One was in a stroller and was repeating the tones over the intercom that sounded everytime a new number was called. They appeared to be Americans. Before I could introduce myself however, the lady at the window asked me to go to the next window to pay the passport fee. When I returned, the couple and boys were gone. We next traveled to a medical clinic where children being adopted must have their final medical checkup. While we waited, in walks the same couple and two boys who I saw earlier at the embassy. I asked them if they were Americans, and they said they were. They then told me an incredible story which made me feel very humbled. They were from New Mexico and had one biological 3 year old. Last year they adopted two small children with special needs from China. They were in Ukraine adopting these two boys, one who was autistic and one who suffered from cerebral palsy. The 6 year old boy who suffered from cerebral palsy was in a stroller. They told me the boy had been in a crib the entire 6 years of his life at the orphanage and could not walk. Apparantly, both of the boys orphanage was horrific. The Director of the orphanage could not understand why anyone would want to adopt these boys. After they told me their story, all I could say was "God Bless you guys!" Amazing people and yet there are many like them adopting kids who are deemed "undesirable". Lenin.... We ended the day where we started our journey six weeks ago: having dinner with our good friend Lori Costanza. She arrived in Kiev this afternoon. She is headed to Kherson on the "train of pain" tomorrow night to get her daughter Anya. Congrats to Lori and Todd! Anya, you are a lucky girl! We will surely meet back with them in the U.S. in the not too distant future. Just as long as it does not conflict with farming season. Tomorrow, we go back to the U.S. embassy to get Vova's passport and then we are done. We hope to catch a flight home on Thursday and arrive in Roanoke Thursday evening. My last post will be after we arrive home!

2 comments:

  1. Now you only have the "plane of pain" ahead of you. Hopefully Vova will behave himself better than those of us who have had to travel with young children! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake, why do you have to shut down the blog? We followers would like more than just one final update!
    Vova is a very cute boy and I love his personality, I think he becoming Americanized faster than you realize. I also think he knows what a lucky boy he is, he as a arrogance about him (in a good way) that he is no longer an orphan!
    I was really glad I got to see you guys before you left, you made my time in Kiev enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete