Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Morning Church, Hamburgers and Play

Today was a beautiful morning in Ukraine. At the Circus yesterday, we met "James" and his family who are Christian missionaries from Michigan. He and his family started a church in Kherson 15 years ago and built a new church a few years ago. They are a wonderful family and invited us to church Sunday morning. As you can see above, the church is built in a residential area, appears modest but is very nice nice considering the condition of the neighborhood. Vova's caretaker, Milana,takes his group of 14 kids to sunday school every week to the church, from 9:00-10:00 (Bless her heart). The church service is from 10:00 to 12:00 The service was in Ukrainian, but a woman translated the sermon into english. The praise band consisted of 3 women, but they were very good. Although the songs were in Ukraine, we did recognize some of the music. After the sermon, the preacher asked for all the requested prayers from the congregation, just at Church of the Holy Spirit. Although we did not understand most of the prayer requests, we did understand one: when the preacher introduced us to the congregation and told them that we were adopting Vova. When James mentioned Vova's name,the entire congregation begun to mutter Vova's name and all the older women began to smile and nod approvingly. It appears the whole congregation knew Vova from sunday school. After the service, Vova's sunday school teacher came up to us and said she was so happy Vova was going to America with us, although she would miss him very much. It was so inspiring to see all the great work these missionaries had done, and it made you feel your own accomplishments in life were small in comparison.
Above is a statue of Lenin. No real relevance. Only way I could figure out how to break up paragraphs in this blog. After church, Judi and I went and ate at the "Burger Club". Sounds good, no? Thought so too. I looked at that menu with the thick hamburger, fries and coke combo and said, pointing to the menu: "I will take that one!". As the waitress left, I also told her I wanted a chocolate shake. What the heck, food is cheap here, why not splurge on a chocolate shake. As we waited, all I could think about was that hamburger, french fries and chocolate shake. I was starving and had had enough of Ukrainian food. The waitress brought us our food (for about $5) and I looked at that big, juicy burger. Exactly, what I have been waiting for.... finally. I picked it up, looked at it, smiled and took a big bite and ............................. spit it out all over the table. Okay, for all you parents who have gone to Disneyworld and bought that $8 five hour old hamburger ..... this was ten times worse. Judi, of course was loving it! She had warned me of the fact that many restaraunts used horse meat. As I tried to gulp down each bite, with a large amount of coke, Judi would put her tounge between her lips and make horse sounds. But at least I had my chocolate milkshake! My sweet milkshake! That had to be the same as in America. I mean, ice cream was ice cream? The waitress came up to our table carrying a nice, creamy chocolate shake. I went to grab it .....but then caught myself and thought....hmmm.....maybe just like the burger, the shake is not as it appears? I told Jud to go ahead and have a sip. I would have my revenge! Oh yes, sweet revenge! As she stuck the straw in, took a big long sip, her face seemed to transform before my eyes. I asked: "Anything wrong?" She tried to speak and then finally let out a "That is so aweful!" I tried it and agreed, the chocolate shake was really powdered chocolate and warm water. There was no ice cream. Yes, it was aweful, but as they say in the Mastercard commercial, the look on Judi's face.....Priceless!
Again Lenin and no real relevance other than breaking up the paragraphs. Afterwards, we went to the orphanage to see Vova. He was still wearing the Ukrainian soccer shirt we had given him on Thursday. Yes, the same one he boxed in on Friday and the same one he wore to the Circus on Saturday. I also noticed that Vova was wearing some interesting shorts:
Yes, a Huge Shout out to Cave Spring in the Ukraine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After visiting with Vova, we went out to the soccer field to play. Here are a few photos:
Judi showing her athletic prowess...actually this was a nice catch. (Jud still is training for the hungry mudder-very impressive)
Vova making a nice stop at goalie. After some soccer, Vova and I played Basketball with some of his friends......... Billy, I pains me to say this, but baring some miraculous intervention, the Jacobsen legacy in Cave Spring basketball will appear to start with Erik and end with Drew. Let me know if you want me to look at some prospects for you while we are over here?
Last photo is of Judi and Volari, aka "Vol". He is seventeen and has "aged out" but is still at the orphanage finishing school. He is a great kid and speaks some english, so he is our adopted translator. I wish someone could adopt him but it appears too late. Before I sign off, a final shout out to my traveling companion Todd, who is on his way back to Michigan. Safe travels and miss you brother. We will watch after your wife and son. And don't worry, if Lori starts to lag behind, I know just exactly what to yell to her! :)). Thanks for all your prayers. Keep em coming. Jake and Judi

1 comment:

  1. HI guys...so very wonderful to skype with you all today...great stories Jake!! I am glad you were able to try the horse meat...who knows-it may have enen had a little kitty mixed in there. In our traveling the countryside, there were next to no cows...pretty sure we warned you that the meat was mystery meat, silly.
    Stalin
    I can see Judi's face with the milkshake, hehehe :) We couldn't wait to fly back to the states and have a grande latte from starbucks (did you notice they only serve little cups and no to go cups?) and a burger and fries from anywhere!!
    Stalin
    We recognize Vol...he is a great kid and good soccer player too...I thought he was coming to America?? Try to find Roberto (@ 17, dark hair, in a lot of pics with Illya) and give him a big hug for us.
    If you ever get a chance, we would love to Skype w/ Stas' buds-Sasha and Kola too. Maybe Vova could find them for us. And feel free to bring home any extras for us all :)
    Stalin
    Monday begins new week...praying you will make progress and see an exit plan in the near future.
    stalin
    hope you are feeling the love and prayers coming your way...xo

    ReplyDelete