Tuesday, May 22, 2012

And Then There Was One!

Judi and I have spent the past few days playing with all the kids in the orphanage. Judi was supposed to take the train to Kiev on Wednesday night and leave for the States Friday morning, arriving in Roanoke Friday night. Well, she will still be arriving in Roanoke Friday night, but she had to take the train to Kiev tonight. Turns out our facilitator booked her a train ticket May 22 rather than May 23. We just found out about it this morning. We tried to reschedule, but there were no train tickets available for tomorrow night. Thus, I took Judi to the train station about an hour ago and now presently sit alone in our apartment. It is going to be a very, very long week and a half! Safe travels Babe!
While at the orphanage the past few days, Judi and I have made ice cream "runs" for the kids to a store just down the street. However, when one gets ice cream, Vova's entire group gets ice cream along with the caretakers. Ends up being about 20 ice creams! Usually, six or seven kids will go with us and then we bring back ice cream for the others. You would think 20 ice creams a day would start getting expensive, but it ends up being about 110 grevnas or only about $13. Pretty cheap price in exchange for 20 smiles.
After ice cream runs we go back to playing football or soccer.
While at the orphanage, Judi and I see alot of kids who remind us of kids back home when they were younger. The kid below, Kola, is a spittin image of Tim Henderson when he was in 5th grade or so. Those who know Tim will see the resemblance.
The photo below is what I call "The Three Vova's". Yes, you guessed it, all the boys are named Vova. After I took the photo, I found a 4th Vova. I will try to get a photo of all four Vova's before I leave.
Finally, right before we left, Vova injured his right arm while playing soccer.
Looking back on it, it probably seems a little callous to be snaping photos of my injured boy with Judi. And come to think of it, probably was. Vova was taken to the hospital and thankfully there were no broken bones, only a deep bruise and some swelling. Will likely keep him out of the gym this week. Well, thats all from Kherson. A week from today is when things will start to pick up. In the meantime, I will have to make due on my own. I will miss Jud! This was a great adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment